• This course is for those preparing for a career within health occupations as well as working toward employment upgrades in the field. The course covers the following topics: pre-algebra basics; the metric system; reading drug labels, medicine cups, syringes, and intravenous fluid administration bags; parenteral dosages; basic intravenous fluid administration; and basic dosage by body weight.
• Books included with tuition.
• This course is student-directed and paced according to the calendar set by the instructor. Students are expected to complete required activities as assigned. The student will be responsible to complete all module activities before taking the module exam.
• This type of learning environment may be new to students who have only attended traditional lecture-based classes in the past. It can offer several advantages to you; however, you must be motivated, show initiative in your work, and seek out the assistance from your peers, instructors, and reference materials when questions arise.
• If you need help adjusting to this type of learning environment, it is your responsibility to inform your instructor-don’t be afraid to ask questions at any time! We are here to help you in all aspects of your training.
• Satisfies the Medical Math prerequisite for the Practical Nursing program at Meridian Technology Center. This course may be challenged. There are four challenge exams covering, Math Basics, Fraction/Decimals/Percent, Conversions, Dosage Calculations, that can be taken, and if passed will exempt you from completing the course for our Practical Nursing program.
Module 1 Whole Number Review
Module 2 Fractions
Module 3 Decimals
Module 4 Ratio and Proportion
Module 5 Percentages
Module 6 Combined Applications
Module 7 Pre-Algebra Basics
Module 8 The Metric System
Module 9 Reading Drug Labels, Medicine Cups, Syringes, and Intravenous Fluid Administration Bags
Module 10 Apothecary Measurement and Conversion
Module 11 Dosage Calculations
Module 12 Parenteral Dosage
Module 13 The Basics of Intravenous Fluid Administration
Module 14 Basic Dosage by Body Weight
For more information, please call the Health Occupations desk at (405) 377-3333 ext. 209 or 211
Course Section Description
An introduction into basic math and the emphasis will be how math is utilized in the health field. Modules will cover basic math including fractions, decimals, percents, ratios and proportions, conversions, metric system and dosage calculations. Satisfies pre-requisite for Practical Nursing.